Get Definitions to Common Building Terms

Below are definitions to some terms commonly used in our industry.

Cladding: Cladding is a trim that’s used around doors, windows and garage doors, and is usually made from aluminum. It can also be made from smart board (pressed wood) or cement fibre siding trimmings.

Eavestrough: Also known as a gutter, eavestrough is a channel that’s used to carry rainwater off and away from a building.

Fascia: This term refers to the frieze or band that runs horizontally under the roof’s edge, forming the outer part of a cornice.

Fibre Cement Siding: This type of siding is made from a composite of sand, cement and cellulose, and is typically applied as overlapping horizontal boards, imitating wood siding. It can also be manufactured in sheet form and is often used for soffit/eave lining, or even as an underlay material on decks and in bathrooms. This type of siding is used in both residential and commercial settings.

Siding: A weatherproof covering or facing for frame building. Siding can be made from shingles, plain/shaped boards, sheet metal or composition materials.

Soffit: As an architecture term, soffit means the underside of any construction element. For example, soffit can be the underside of an arch or architrave, the underside of a flight of stairs or even the underside of a projecting cornice. However, in popular use, the term is most often used to describe the material used to cover the gap between the home’s siding and the roofline.

Vinyl Siding: A popular siding alternative to fibre cement, wood or aluminum siding. This product is engineered and is typically made from PVC resin.

Copyright Classic Exteriors 2018 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice